Sanders was giving an interview to Andrea Mitchell of MSNBC when she asked him if his endorsement would help Hillary beat Trump. Sanders's answer was lengthy, convoluted, and devastating to Obama. Why Obama? Well, here's what Sanders said:
It's a question of the American people understanding that Secretary Clinton is prepared to stand with them as they work longer hours for low wages, as they cannot afford health care, as their kids can't afford to go to college. Make it clear that she is on their side, that she is prepared to take on Wall Street, the drug companies, fossil fuel industry. Deal with the global crisis of climate change.The thing is, Obama has been president for eight years. And what Sanders is saying is that this is the state of America today. That's why he believes Hillary needs to assure the American people that she will fix these things if she wants to win the election. If this is the state of America today, and Obama has been in office for eight years, then obviously these are things Obama either did not fix or that he caused. Either way, the result is damning:
1. "as [the American people] work longer hours for low wages". This is an indictment of Obama's economic record. It means that everything you feel about the Great Recession hanging on is true. There are fewer jobs. They are worse jobs. They are lower paying jobs. Remember Obama's multiple stimulus plans? Weren't they supposed to fix that? Wasn't he going to fight China on trade? I guess not.
2. "as [the American people] cannot afford health care". Huh. Didn't Obamacare solve that? Don't we have universal coverage now that everyone can afford? I thought those denying that were Republican liars? Guess not.
3. "as [the American people's] kids can't afford to go to college". That would be colleges run by liberals. That would be the places taken over by students in protest after protest. Yep, those place. Well, didn't Obama fix this when he forced all the private lenders out of the Temple and brought all the student loans into the government? I could have sworn that was the case. Guess not.
4. "that she is prepared to take on Wall Street". Wait a minute! I KNOW Obama fixed Wall Street. Don't you remember Dodd Frank? Yeah, that ended too-big-to-fail and finally brought real regulation to Wall Street. Besides, Obama runs all the regulatory agencies that monitor Wall Street. How can Wall Street be out of control?
5. "that she is prepared to take on... the drug companies". Hold on. These guys were neutered under Obamacare, weren't they?
6. "that she is prepared to take on...the fossil fuel industry". Hasn't Obama been waging a war on coal for eight years? Didn't Obama create a massive lending program to hand out money
7. "that she is prepared to deal with the global crisis of climate change". Hmm. I thought Obama fixed this in Copenhagen. Weren't we promised he had saved the world? Has something gone wrong?
There's more that Bernie missed, but this is honestly a damning indictment of Obama's legacy. You would think he could have fixed a couple of these given the fact he got whatever laws he wanted until 2010 and could cut deals thereafter, that his administration does whatever it wants in the regulatory world, and given that he's just so gosh darn Nobel. Odd.