Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Count Our Blessings Day...

I was going to write about something else for today, but I think maybe we need a day to take a big breath and reflect. It seems as if there is just no good news right now and we can't blame everything on the media, Trump, Democrats, or Russia. I contribute this to not what is really happening, but that we spend so much time dissecting each syllable of each word on social media, that we miss the big picture.

I will assume since we all have internet service and all the modern electronics that come with with it, that we all have a roof over our heads, clothes to wear, plenty of food in our bellies, and loving family and friends who care. At least I hope you all do. Frankly, I am not completely convince that all of the hot air we create by constantly finding fault with everything isn't one of the main contributions to global warming...er...climate change. The Butterfly Effect in real time. There's so much pain in the world, maybe we can take a day to make it just a little less painful.

Let's just take a day and count our blessings. I'll start.

I have an infestation of mice. Okay, maybe that's not a positive, but at least they're cute and amazingly fast. I am fascinated at how fast mice are. If we could all move as fast as scared mice, we wouldn't need rockets. I realize I should be eeeeeeeeked out about these mice, but, what can I say. It's just life in the big city.

Okay, who's next?

10 comments:

ArgentGale said...

The best thing in my life right now? My cats, especially my new fluffy tailed tortoiseshell kitten!

BevfromNYC said...

I can think of nothing better than the blessings of a new kitten! Though my mice might disagree...

ArgentGale said...

True on all counts, Bev! She's been a cute, cuddly little furball who really brightens up the house. I'm pretty sure she'd blaze through those mice, too!

AndrewPrice said...

Bev, There is a lot to be thankful for. We live in an amazing age. We live in a world where technology has provided for all out needs and most of our wants. Medicine has extended lives to their near maximum and improved lived, and we are on the verge of banishing most afflictions. The vast majority of the human race is becoming comfortably middle class. In America, the things people whine about are mere "first world problems."

There are negatives, mainly caused by the spiteful and the lazy. Many of our institutions have been overrun by the incompetent or the hateful. But we can live happily without them. Our entertainment is a little crappy at the moment, but we have older movies, sports, games and a myriad of other things to take their place. We can see things on television that our ancestors never knew -- Everest, the bottom of the ocean, outer space. The internet has a lot of people depressed, but escaping it is easy.

So all told... we live in a golden age.

tryanmax said...

Bev, I agree. Ingratitude is what plagues humanity more than anything. You don't need to be on top to be happy and, in fact, it would make most people very unhappy. Even tragedy, privation and injustice are causes to be grateful as they serve as reminders of all that is good and offer us opportunities to spread goodness and love. The amazing thing about being grateful is that the more thanks you give, the more you find you have to give thanks for. I'm not trying to be sappy. May the peace that passes understanding guard your hearts and minds.

Rustbelt said...

Bev, not sure if it's something that fits this category, but the intro for this year's Monsterpiece Theater is up on the film site.

AndrewPrice said...

tryanmax, That's actually very true. The more you simply choose to be happy, the happier you will be. And conversely, the more you look for things to be upset about, the more you will find.

Critch said...

I went to my 45th High School Reunion.,,,it was a blast. High school was fun for me. We had a class of 115 kids, we all got along and still do...we had great teachers...we were actaully fairly well prepared for the world...

Stacy said...

I'm reading a day late and, probably, that's a good thing. I would have been hard pressed to express a thankful thought yesterday as the school district I work for lost one of its senior class members. Driving too fast on his way to school with his younger brother in the car when he either hit a deer and lost control or swerved to miss one that was already hit and lost control. He died on his 17th birthday in his little brother's arms. Little brother underwent major surgery today.

But, today is another day and I am thankful for this ridiculously gorgeous October weather, for the health and safety of my own family, for having been able to give our daughter the wedding of her dreams two weeks ago, that said wedding is now a pleasant memory (rather than a constant stress to organize), and my three amazing grandchildren.

AndrewPrice said...

Stacy, I'm sorry to hear about the tragedy at your school. That's very rough.

Congrats on the wedding!

Post a Comment