Thursday, May 24, 2018

I Wish I Could Be A Liberal

A little poetry...

I wish I could be a liberal...
No facts no logic could stand in my way...
I could believe whatever I wanted...
Trust the herd, I'd always say...

I wish I could be a liberal...
Contradictions wouldn't matter...
Nor would what I say...
I could disown all my beliefs...
And yet stand on shifting principle every day...

I wish I could be a liberal...
With history on my side...
I'd be so f**cking smug...
And my hypocrisy sky high...

I wish I could be a liberal...
My world would be black and white...
Disagree with me and you're a bigot...
Because I am always right...

I wish I could be a liberal...
Nothing would ever be my fault...
My failures would be excused...
To challenge me would be assault...

I wish I could be a liberal...
Because my racism would be disarming...
My hatred would be justified...
My sexism would be charming...

I wish I could be a liberal...
I could demonize my opponents...
And whine about their response...
Destroy you for your vices...
Treat mine with nonchalance...

I wish I could be a liberal...
My tantrums would be truth to power...
My ignorance affirmed...
Your petty laws wouldn't apply to me...
My infallible goodness would be confirmed...

I wish I could be a liberal...
My actions wouldn't matter...
My intent would be what counts...
To doubt me would be racism...
Challenging me, to bullying would amount...

I wish I could be a liberal...
Life would be so easy and so numb...
I wish I could be a liberal...
But I. Just. Can't. Be. That. Dumb.

9 comments:

AndrewPrice said...

BTW, I'm not a poet, but you get the point.

Anthony said...

Consistency and devotion to the truth are important qualities.

AndrewPrice said...

Not for liberals, Anthony. Truth is relative and consistency is the province of small minds.

AndrewPrice said...

Joe Biden now tells us that the GOP is a party of "fake nationalism" and "phony populism." So that makes them not nationalist or populist. Isn't that a good thing in liberals minds today?

Anthony said...

I remember when Bidenisms (mostly exaggerations, lies and fearmongering but also crappy word choice) were circulated daily for laughs and outrage. Nowadays Biden is viewed as a viable candidate.

The notion that habitually lying makes one unable to win elections has not been supported by recent events (the last election came down to one between two such people).

Below you have a background press briefing in which two senior officials clearly say something Trump called the NYT liars for quoting.

As I have said before, politically we are in a world where lies and truth hold less and less meaning for all involved. True believers believe what they are told by the right people, damn the facts.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/audio-of-white-house-official-directly-disproves-trump-phony-sources-attack-on-ny-times/

LL said...

Maybe - one day - you'll embrace Slow Joe Biden and Al Gore as your messiahs. I'm glad that day is not today.

Unknown said...

It is ironic that true believers seldom
If ever believe the truth.

AndrewPrice said...

Very well said, Allena

AndrewPrice said...

LL, Joe had me at "shoot your shotgun through the door." LOL!

Post a Comment