Tuesday, November 22, 2016

For The Record...Again

Since it is once again the anniversary of the assassination of John Kennedy, I am updating a 2013 post on the same subject since, well, nothing it has changed...

Today is the 53rd Anniversary of the Assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas, Texas. As a native of Dallas, I always feel the need to set the record straight just in case you are one of those who believes that "Dallas killed Kennedy". You would be surprised how many people do. So, for the record, one more time... I had nothing to do with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963. Yes, I was in Dallas, but I was 4 years old and probably taking a nap. There I said it. it wasn't me. I know you may think that it goes without saying, but growing up in the specter of the assassination and guilt that has been foisted on Dallas that has followed these 50+ years, you may be able to understand the guilt I may or may not carry. But really, I wasn't involved. With that out of the way, I also have no direct memories of the assassination either [naptime, remember?].

All that out of the way, I can admit now that I have spent many years wondering why Dallas has been held responsible rather than one lone Marxist assassin named Lee Harvey Oswald. Other cities have hosted assassins:

Washington D.C:

- President Abraham Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth on April 14, 1865 (died April 15, 1865).
- President James A. Garfield was shot by Charles Guiteau on July 2, 1881 (died September 19, 1881).

Buffalo, New York:

- William McKinley was shot by Leon Czolgosz on September 4, 1901 (died September 14, 1901) in Buffalo, New York.

Yet, neither of these cities has been held responsible. But then, the shooting in Dallas was different and I finally understand why. In each of the other shootings, it was obvious who did the shooting. Lincoln, Garfield and McKinley were all shot at close range and their assassins were caught almost in the act. Boothe was killed, but he was clearly the assassin having shot Lincoln in full view of an audience of a theatre audience at Ford's Theatre during a performance of "Our American Cousin". Guiteau and Czologz were tried and were brought to justice in a court of law, and both were executed. Cases closed.

Lee Harvey Oswald, on the other hand, shot Kennedy from a longer range with rifle from a window overlooking Dealey Plaza. He was arrested later in the day, but was killed by Jack Ruby before any investigation could be completed. Another unique aspect is the Zapruder film. Kennedy's assassination was the first caught on film. It isn't a stretch for me to believe that one lone, crazy gunman with a grudge could do this. There have been many unsuccessful attempts on other President throughout our history by lone gunmen (or women) yet the conspiracies persist with this one.

But what do you think?

Here are some personal fun facts from that day in Dallas: My mother worked at Parkland Hospital and was at the hospital on the day Kennedy was brought in. She was the head therapeutic dietitian and was put in charge of Gov. Connally who was also shot by Oswald. She was almost fired because she fed the Governor chili. When he was able to eat, she went to his room to ask what he would like for lunch. Mrs. Connally asked what was on the menu and she told her that they were serving Texas chili. Mrs. Connally said then that would be just fine for the Governor. Later in the day, my mother's boss, Mrs. Lively, called my mother into her office and was furious that my mother gave the Governor chili! My mother, no shrinking violet, shot back (no pun intended) that it was what he wanted! Well, she wasn't fired...

A few years later, my mother was also assigned to Jack Ruby when he was in Parkland suffering from advanced lung cancer. My mother was so paranoid that someone would try to poison Ruby that she decided that only one of her trusted cooks or she would personally make his meals. But, on January 3, 1967 she was late for work. She was driving to the hospital with the radio on when a breaking report came on that Jack Ruby has died. In a panic, she got off the highway and went to the first payphone she could find and called in. She just needed to make sure that Ruby had died BEFORE he had breakfast! He had...phew.

Truth is better than fiction, right?

23 comments:

ScottDS said...

I had nothing to do with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on November 22, 1963. Yes, I was in Dallas, but I was 4 years old and probably taking a nap.

So the scene in Oliver Stone's JFK where Kevin Costner interrogates a 4-year old... that was based on someone else? :-D

I visited Dallas once, on the 4th of July weekend in 2009... ironically to visit a girl I had met when I lived out here last time around. (Sadly, she didn't feel the same way about me, but that's another story.)

We went to the Sixth Floor Museum and it was quite an experience. Obviously things get more depressing as you go along but I'll never forget... near the end of the exhibit there was a huge poster on the wall detailing every possible conspiracy, from Cubans to the oil industry to Israel to people who were afraid JFK would reveal the truth about UFOs.

I've searched high and low for this poster online but nothing yet... I guess it's exclusive to the museum.

tryanmax said...

Scott, the Lizard People are suppressing the poster.

AndrewPrice said...

Bev, I'm still pretty sure you did it. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now. ;-)

AndrewPrice said...

OT... What a tragedy in Tennessee. I wish the families the best. What a horrible thing. RIP

Anthony said...

That Tennessee thing is a nightmare. Whatever they do to the bus driver won't be enough.

Anthony said...

I cannot imagine what kids and their families are going through. My prayers are with them.

AndrewPrice said...

Anthony, Me neither. It's horrible to think about.

Critch said...

I was in Mrs. Hall's 4th grade room in Memphis when it happened. She always had one of those small transistor radios plugged into her ear. She started crying and told us what happened. She drape our little flag with a black scarf. We went home pretty shortly after that.

I understand your feelings about Kennedy and Dallas. Dr. King was killed in Memphis by a guy from St. Louis, yet I still hear from people that Memphis was responsible for his death...I don't think so. Terrible thing in Chattanooga. So many prayers for the little kids and families.

I believe that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone...I'm not so sure about James Earl Ray.

AndrewPrice said...

Critch and Bev, This is where being younger make a huge difference. JFK is a picture in a history book to me. That said, I remember when Reagan got shot and I remember when the Challenger blew up. I definitely remember 9/11 too because it happened near my house.

On Oswald, my experience on this planet tells me that it's impossible that Oswald was part of a larger conspiracy.

AndrewPrice said...

to clarify...

It's impossible he was part of a conspiracy and we wouldn't know. Once a secret is shared by two people, it becomes destined to be disclosed.

EPorvaznik said...

Echoing Andrew on the age factor, here's a favorite SNL sketch from 30 years ago. Make ya feel older yet, AP?

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/83/83fforum.phtml

Kit said...

If you want a very powerful piece of history here is Clint Hill's interview w/ Mike Wallace for 60 Minutes back in the 1980s. The first moment, 0:55-01:48, when he describes why Jackie Kennedy was climbing out of the backseat, and then starting around 02:24 when he talks about his one regret about the day, not getting to John Kennedy soon enough, even though it would resulted in his own death.

LINK

Kit said...

As some of you may be aware, Richard Spencer and 200-300 fellow white nationalists held a rally at the Ronald Reagan building in Washington, DC causing many in the media to note the rise of a new movement in American politics.

Indeed, as Jamie Weinstein noted, BronyCon got about 7,000 people.

Anyway, we have footage of the event:
LINK

Oh, wait, sorry. That was "Springtime for Hilter" from Mel Brooks Oscar-winning 1968 hit comedy starring Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel.

Here it is!
LINK

No, wait, that is "Heil Myself" from the 2003 so-so movie adaptation of Mel Brooks' hit Broadway show, The Producers.

This is the rally:
LINK

Yeah, that's it. There's no greater dictator in the land. Everything he does he does for whites so don't be stupid be a smahty, come and join the Nazi pahty.

Yeah, you're better off watching The Producers. Even the 2003 version.

Anonymous said...

Bev: Great stories! My Grandma Hains was born in 1890. She died at age 85 in 1975. I can remember her telling me where she was when she learned that McKinley(!) had been shot. She and her dad had gone to town shopping. They had gotten back home and he dropped her off at the house while he took the wagon to the barn to unhitch the horses. Her mother had the newspaper and told her the news. How 'bout that.
GypsyTyger

Kit said...

Gypsytyger,

Wow!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kit! She was a neat lady. She was born with outdoor plumbing and horse drawn transportation, Before she died she watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. The twentieth century was a hell of a thing.
GypsyTyger

Kit said...

GypsyTyger,

"The twentieth century was a hell of a thing."

Indeed it was.

Kit said...

A few months earlier, on August 9, JFK and Jackie lost their two-day old son, Patrick Bouvier.

AndrewPrice said...

"The twentieth century was a hell of a thing."

Just wait for the next fifty years! The robot holocaust. The destruction of Moscow. Vegetable Rights laws. The rise of cloning. The clone wars. The reintroduction of slavery in Florida. Global warming sinks Florida. The assassination of President Camacho. Buck Rogers's first Mission to Mars, which goes horribly wrong. The Rolling Stones celebrate 200 years touring. The rise of Fundamentalist Buddhism. The IKEA incident. First contact with intelligent life on the left.

Interesting times indeed.

AndrewPrice said...

GypsyTyger, Cool story. I used to love talking to my grandmother because of the perspective she had to way back into history. She was born in 1918 Austria and she lived through Hitler and East Germany.

AndrewPrice said...

EP, Sadly, much makes me feel old these days. When did 80's metal bands become good music for elevators?

Anonymous said...

Andrew, Wow! I'm glad she made it through. What an experience. Grandmothers are neat.
B: 80's metal is the pinnacle of musical accomplishment. Don't think of it as elevator music. Think of it as the soundtrack to your life. At some point in all our lives we ride elevators. Sonny Crockett rode elevators. Does that make the music that played while he did it any less cool? I think not.
C: I can believe absolutely anything about the future. But intelligent life on the left? HA! :)
GypsyTyger

AndrewPrice said...

Sonny Crockett rode elevators. Does that make the music that played while he did it any less cool? I think not.

Bravo!! :)

Post a Comment