Sunday, November 30, 2014

Medical Update - Warning: Graphic

Hey everyone! I thought you might like to know how close we came to a disaster on Friday. I guess I'm thankful to be alive. (This is graphic, so don't read this if you are squeamish.)

To help you understand the problem I've been having, I'm having tons of lymphatic fluid build up in my body and pool in my ankles in particular. This causes my legs to "weep" out this fluid because there's no other way to get rid of it. Over time, this has destroyed the tissue between my ankles and my knees, which is now torn, raw, bloated and severely damaged. It actually looks a lot like burn victim skin and it feels like my lower legs are covered in blisters. The pain from this can be overwhelming, which is why I need the pain pills, which keep me from writing, which is why I'm having a hard time getting articles done.

About a week ago, my doctor gave me a steroid cream he thought might help. I put this cream around the ankle, where it looks like someone yanked out chunks of flesh with a pair of pliers. At first, it seemed to help. Then it seemed to increase the pain and make things worse. I decided on Friday that I would stop using this stuff. Unfortunately, that was too late.

(Warning: Now it gets graphic!)

After a nice, but medicated Thanksgiving, I decided to just rest on Friday. So I sat in my favorite chair. I pulled up an ottoman, put a down blanket on the ottoman as a cushion, and then placed a bath towel on the blanket because my bandages are always wet -- the weeping makes them wet after about twenty minutes. I put my foot up on the towel. A few minutes later, I realized there were three drops of blood on my other leg. I asked my wife if she could see a source. I thought I might have cut the back of that knee, which feels sore. She didn't see blood there. Then she noticed something red under my left leg, on the towel. When I raised my leg, we saw that the towel and the blanket were drenched in blood... drenched to the point of dripping blood everywhere when you picked them up.

At that point, my wife pulled off the bandage to see what was leaking. As she did, a cartoon-like scene occurred as a stream of blood shot over her shoulder across the room. It didn't stop until she plugged it with the bandage again. Needless to say, I called 911. Fortunately, they arrived about a minute later and took over. They were great -- professional, calm and friendly. They were also very worried at first, until we got the bleeding stopped. The ER staff were not as great, but we did get it all sorted out and the bleeding stopped.

What had happened was that the steroid cream had thinned the already damaged skin and it just broke open right at an arterial point. (It actually broke on two places -- front and back).

I don't know how much blood I lost, but it was a lot. The bath towel and the down blanket were soaked and ruined. The carpet was drenched too and filled the steam cleaner three times before I got it all out. I would guess we are talking two pints for sure. And this was all in about 5 minutes. Worst of all, as there was no pain, it was pure luck that I even noticed. Had I fallen asleep, or had my wife been out shopping as was her intent, I would not be here today... I don't doubt that. And the thought of my wife and kids coming home to find that honestly makes me sick.

Anyway, I wanted to let you all know this so you know that I really am not just being lazy when I can't get articles done. The stuff I've been dealing with has been very serious, debilitating and at times rather scary. And I want to thank you all again for sticking with us as I sort my way through this. I do believe things are getting better, but sometimes there are setbacks like this.

Thanks.

32 comments:

CrisD said...

Andrew, I am so glad you got help in time! Sending prayers to you and the family as you rest and recuperate!

Take it easy,
Chris Mayock

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks Cris! Thanks for your prayers! I really appreciate that! This was a scary moment. I don't ever want to do this again!

AndrewPrice said...

P.S. This has absolutely confirmed my love and respect for our first responders. They were awesome.

Jon said...

Andrew, I am really sorry to hear about your affliction. I hope you can find some relief from it. What a scary thing! You are in our prayers, sir.

Jon Woodward

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks Jon! And thanks for your prayers. This one was pretty scary.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Hi Andrew,
Thankfully, you got help in time! I will definitely keep praying for you. Hopefully, you will mend soon, but no matter how long it takes never give up fightin'!
If you need any financial help I will be happy to chip in, just say the word.
Wish I could do more.

Anthony said...

Wow. Thank God you are still with us. My prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh holy crap... That's insane. I'm glad help arrived when it did and you're still with us. I don't know how much help I can offer other than prayers, but let me know if you need me for anything.

- Daniel

AndrewPrice said...

Ben, Thank you! I really appreciate that. And thank you for your offer of financial help. That's really amazing! But please be assured that I'm ok on that front.

I will definitely keep up the fight! Since this all started, I put on about 60 pounds, but I've fought and taken almost all of that off again. I do my best to keep my body moving to pump the fluid and my wife has been great about helping me too. I've been referred to a new doctor. I hope that helps.

Thanks again, Ben!

Critch said...

I am sorry to hear of this. These type of ailments are just cruel, I have no other word for them..Hang in there buddy..

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks Anthony! It was shocking and, in hindsight, I'm amazed to be alive. Thanks for your prayers!

AndrewPrice said...

Daniel, Thank you! I'm ok on the help front. Really, your prayers are more than enough. I honestly believe it's just a matter of time before I get this beat. And having all of your support is great! :D

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks Critch, I will do my best! And you're right, cruel is the best word for it. It's just a relentless pain that is packed with Catch-22 problems where curing one thing makes other aspects worse and vice versa. I don't wish this on anyone. And I pray that all of you are healthy!!

Kit said...

Andrew,

It is great to hear you are ok. Get well soon!

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks Kit!

Eric said...

I'm not a doctor, nor have played one on TV. However, I have watched Animal House enough times to recommend drinking, a lot. Unless mixing alcohol with any meds would prove fatal, that is. In either case, you're in my prayers.

Kit said...

I will say this, if it had been me —as soon as I stopped going "HOLY S--T! BLOOD IS GOING EVERYWHERE!" and realized I was not going to die— I would have made a Monty Python joke. "It's only a flesh wound! I've had worse!"

And then probably fainted.

LL said...

Way too close.

Be well, my friend, and take good care.

AndrewPrice said...

Eric, Alcohol would probably kill me. So sadly, I avoid it entirely. I even stopped using these wipes on my leg because they contained a lot of alcohol and that seemed to make me sick. So, no. I stick with water and juice.

Thanks for your prayers, my friend!

AndrewPrice said...

Kit, I do admit to joking around with the firemen after everything was stabilized. I don't think my wife liked that much though as I had totally freaked her out.

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks LL!

Rustbelt said...

Yowza!

Andrew, I've had to help some family members through some rough- and occasionally gruesome- medical problems, but this one takes the cake! I don't know how you and your wife stayed calm enough to call 911, but thank God and AMEN to the fact you did!
You're in my prayers, my friend. Keep up the fight and get well!

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks Rustbelt! It was surprisingly easy to stay calm because I didn't really have any choice -- plus, I've never been one to panic under stress.

In terms of taking the cake, my leg has done some gruesome stuff before and I've been told many times that I might lose it, but this was a new one. This one was also bizarrely cartoonish to me. I never expected that.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

That's one thing I have noticed about paramedics/EMT's/Firrmen, they have a great sense of humor.
And you are right, Andrew, they are top notch professionals. I don't recall ever meeting one that was stupid or too slow.
Perhaps it's all the remedial training. Kind of hard to be a bad paramedic and not have others know about it.
Possible, yes, but less likely than most other jobs.

The last time I called the paramedics one asked me if I had coughed up any blood, along with the symptoms I was describing to him.

I replied, "not yet."

He laughed and said, "ah, so you're an optimist, that's good!"

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Er, Firemen, not Firrmen, although I'm sure Firrmen are mostly very good at what they do as well.

AndrewPrice said...

Ben, Yep, Firrmen are very good at what they do! LOL!

That's funny - the optimist comment!

Yeah, these guys were all smart, knowledgeable and very reassuring. From the moment they arrived, I knew I was in great hands.

BevfromNYC said...

OMG! I am so sorry that I didn't see this until this morning! Thank God you weren't alone. You have an extraordinary wife! And for Fireman/EMS! I have a new found respect for pain. Bad things can happen without it. My prayers for you for a speedy recovery.

Btw, did you actually clean up after losing 2 pints of blood? Are you some kind of super hero?

TJ said...

Wow, just wow! I can't even begin to fathom what you and your wife went through. I'm so glad you're okay and that you weren't home alone. I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers.

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks TJ! It was pretty traumatic for everyone. And yeah, I'm very happy I wasn't alone. Thank you for your prayers!

AndrewPrice said...

Bev, Great point about pain. It's amazing to think that just because this didn't hurt, I wouldn't have noticed except by pure chance. Scary.

Yes, I did clean it up. My wife wasn't really in any shape to do it, and it had to be done, so I did it.

Jocelyn said...

Andrew, that must have been horrific. Oddly, your story reminds me of my Dad (who worked as a Respiratory Therapist his entire life). I have mild eczema/psoriasis and would chat with him about how to resolve the skin issue (since he had something similar) and he was very much against steroid creams for the skin because "they thin your skin out." I sparingly use it because of his warning, but your experience now has me freaked out! I try to use it very sparingly, but will now try and use it even less so.

I am glad that you are okay and very glad that the medics arrived in a timely fashion to assist you. I hope you continue on a path of recovery and solution to your situation.

AndrewPrice said...

Jocelyn, Thanks! I hope so too.

I'm glad to hear that my story has given you a stronger sense of caution on the steroid creams. I've been told by several people now that they are only to be taken with extreme caution. And apparently, the skin-thinning is a very common side-effect. Ug.

Post a Comment